Document Type: Original Research
Biomedical Engineering Dept., Faculty of Advanced Medical Technology, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Medical Image & Signal Processing Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Iranian Scientific Association of Optometry, Tehran, Iran
Background: The major limitation in human vision is refractive error. Auxiliary equipment and methods for these people are not always available. In addition, limited range of accommodation in adult people when switching from a far point to a near point is not simply possible. In this paper, we are looking for solutions to use the facilities of digital image processing and displaying to improve visual acuity when using digital display devices. We quantitatively investigate the effect of edge enhancement on improving the visual acuity at different levels of contrast. We can improve visual acuity for people such as emmetropia, myopia and hyperopia when they utilize display devices.Materials and Methods: According to the objective of this research, 24 visual acuity optical charts were designed using MATLAB software, based on logMAR standard. The charts have different levels of contrast with enhanced edges of optotypes at two brightness levels: 0 and 255. The proposed patterns were tested on 20 human subjects. The obtained results for each chart were analyzed in SPSS software.Results: The results show that at all contrast levels, edge enhancement improves visual acuity. The degree of improvement where the edges have brightness level of 0 is higher than where the edges have brightness level of 255. Conclusion: Based on the results, enhancing the edges of optotypes in the background image improves visual acuity by about 16.1% on logMAR scale.
- Cervino A, Hosking SL, Montes-Mico R, Bates K. Clinical ocular wavefront analyzers. J Refract Surg. 2007;23:603-16. PubMed PMID: 17598581.
- Lombardo M, Lombardo G. Wave aberration of human eyes and new descriptors of image optical quality and visual performance. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010;36:313-31. doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrs.2009.09.026. PubMed PMID: 20152616.
- Golovinskiy A, Matusik W, Pfister H, Rusinkiewicz S, Funkhouser T. A statistical model for synthesis of detailed facial geometry. ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG) 2006;25:1025–34.
- Peli E, Woods RL. Image enhancement for impaired vision: the challenge of evaluation. Int J Artif Intell Tools. 2009;18:415-38. doi.org/10.1142/S0218213009000214. PubMed PMID: 20161188. PubMed PMCID: 2727758.
- Peli E. Limitations of image enhancement for the visually impaired. Optom Vis Sci. 1992;69:15-24. doi.org/10.1097/00006324-199201000-00003. PubMed PMID: 1371332.
- Templin K, Didyk P, Ritschel T, Eisemann E, Myszkowski K, Seidel H-P, editors. Apparent resolution enhancement for animations. April 28 - 30, 2011. New York: Proceedings of the 27th Spring Conference on Computer Graphics; 2011.
- Stengel M, Eisemann M, Wenger S, Hell B, Magnor M. Optimizing apparent display resolution enhancement for arbitrary videos. IEEE Trans Image Process. 2013;22:3604-13. doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2013.2265885. PubMed PMID: 23744682.
- Pamplona VF, Oliveira MM, Aliaga DG, Raskar R. Tailored displays to compensate for visual aberrations. ACM Transactions on Graphics. 2012;31:1–12.
- Huang F-C, Lanman D, Barsky BA, Raskar R. Correcting for optical aberrations using multilayer displays. ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG). 2012;31:185. doi.org/10.1145/2366145.2366204.
- Masia B, Wetzstein G, Aliaga C, Raskar R, Gutierrez D. Display adaptive 3D content remapping. Computers & Graphics. 2013;37:983-96. doi.org/10.1016/j.cag.2013.06.004.
- Alonso Jr M, Barreto A, Cremades JG. Image pre-compensation to facilitate computer access for users with refractive errors. ACM SIGACCESS Accessibility and Computing; 2004: ACM. ACM SIGACCESS Accessibility and Computing. 2004;77-78:126–32.
- Alonso J, Barreto A, Cremades JG, Jacko JA, Adjouadi M. Image pre-compensation to facilitate computer access for users with refractive errors. Behaviour & Information Technology. 2005;24:161-73. doi.org/10.1080/01449290412331327456.
- Montalto C, Garcia-Dorado I, Aliaga D, Oliveira MM, Meng F. A total variation approach for customizing imagery to improve visual acuity. ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG). 2015;34:28. doi.org/10.1145/2717307.
- Bailey IL, Lovie JE. New design principles for visual acuity letter charts. Am J Optom Physiol Opt. 1976;53:740-5. doi.org/10.1097/00006324-197611000-00006. PubMed PMID: 998716.
- Carlson NB, Kurtz D, Hines C. Clinical procedures for ocular examination. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2004.
- Virgili G, Acosta R. Reading aids for adults with low vision. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;(4):CD003303. doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd003303.pub2. PubMed PMID: 17054166.
- Rangayyan RM. Biomedical image analysis. Florida: CRC press; 2004.
- Staff Z. The lighting handbook. Austria: Zumtobel; 2004.