Document Type: Original Research
Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Endocrine and Metabolism Research Center, Shiraz University Of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Yekta Parnian mehr Aria IT Corporation,Shiraz,Iran
Background: Diabetes is a serious chronic disease, and its increasing prevalence is a global concern. If diabetes mellitus is left untreated, poor control of blood glucose may cause long-term complications. A big challenge encountered by clinicians is the clinical management of diabetes. Many IT-based interventions such ad CDSS have been made to improve the adherence to the standard care for chronic diseases.Objective: The aim of this study is to establish a decision support system of diabetes management based on diabetes care guidelines in order to reduce medical errors and increase adherence to guidelines.Materials and Methods: To start the process, at first the existing guidelines in the field of diabetes mellitus such as ADA 2017 and AACE guideline 2017 were reviewed, and accordingly, flowcharts and algorithms for screening and managing of diabetes were designed. Then, it was passed on to the information technology team to design software.Results: The most significant outcome of this research was to establish a smart diabetic screening and managing software, which is an important stride to promote patients' health status, control diabetes and save patients' information as an important and reliable source.Â Conclusion: Health care technologies have the potential to improve the quality of diabetes care through IT-based intervention, such as clinical decision support systems. In a chronic disease like diabetes, the critical component is the disease management. The advantages of this web-based system are on-time registration, reports of diabetic prevalence, uncontrolled diabetes, diabetic complications and reducing the rate of mismanagement of diabetes, so that it helps the physicians in order to manage the patients in a better way.
- El-Sappagh S, Elmogy M. A Decision Support System for Diabetes Mellitus Management. Diabetes Case Rep. 2016;1:2.
- RRasoolimoghadam M, Safdari R, Ghazisaeidi M, Maharanitehrani M, Tahmasebiyan S. Designing Decision Support System to Detect Drug Interactions Type 2 Diabetes. Acta Inform Med. 2015;23:336-8. doi: 10.5455/aim.2015.23.336-338. PubMed PMID: 26862240; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4720826.
- Rahmanian K, Shojaei M, Sotoodeh Jahromi A. Relation of type 2 diabetes mellitus with gender, education, and marital status in an Iranian urban population. Rep Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;1:64-8. PubMed PMID: 26989710; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4757057.
- Jarab AS, Alqudah SG, Mukattash TL, Shattat G, Al-Qirim T. Randomized controlled trial of clinical pharmacy management of patients with type 2 diabetes in an outpatient diabetes clinic in Jordan. J Manag Care Pharm. 2012;18:516-26. doi: 10.18553/jmcp.2012.18.7.516. PubMed PMID: 22971205.
- World Health Organization(WHO) [Internet]. 2017.
- Herman WH, Kalyani RR, Cherrington AL, Coustan DR, Boer Id, Dudl RJ, et al. Professional Practice Committee. Diabetes Care. 2017;40:S36.
- Ali SM, Giordano R, Lakhani S, Walker DM. A review of randomized controlled trials of medical record powered clinical decision support system to improve quality of diabetes care. Int J Med Inform. 2016;87:91-100. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2015.12.017. PubMed PMID: 26806716.
- Fogelman Y, Goldfracht M, Karkabi K. Managing Diabetes Mellitus: A Survey of Attitudes and Practices Among Family Physicians. J Community Health. 2015;40:1002-7. doi: 10.1007/s10900-015-0024-2. PubMed PMID: 25877332; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4556738.
- Maia JX, de Sousa LA, Marcolino MS, Cardoso CS, da Silva JL, Alkmim MB, et al. The Impact of a Clinical Decision Support System in Diabetes Primary Care Patients in a Developing Country. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2016;18:258-63. doi: 10.1089/dia.2015.0253. PubMed PMID: 26840128.
- O’Connor PJ, Sperl-Hillen JM, Fazio CJ, Averbeck BM, Rank BH, Margolis KL. Outpatient diabetes clinical decision support: current status and future directions. Diabet Med. 2016;33:734-41. doi: 10.1111/dme.13090. PubMed PMID: 27194173; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5642968.
- To the Minister of Health, Welfare and Sport. Physical activity guidelines 2017. Heath Concil of the Netherlands. No. 2017/08e. 2017.
- Damir A. Clinical assessment of diabetic foot patient. J Int Med Sci Acad. 2011;24:199-203.
- Apelqvist J, Bakker K, van Houtum WH, Schaper NC, International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot Editorial B. Practical guidelines on the management and prevention of the diabetic foot: based upon the International Consensus on the Diabetic Foot (2007) Prepared by the International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2008;24 Suppl 1:S181-7. doi: 10.1002/dmrr.848. PubMed PMID: 18442189.
- McGlynn EA, Asch SM, Adams J, Keesey J, Hicks J, DeCristofaro A, et al. The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:2635-45. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa022615. PubMed PMID: 12826639.
- Crosson JC, Ohman-Strickland PA, Cohen DJ, Clark EC, Crabtree BF. Typical electronic health record use in primary care practices and the quality of diabetes care. Ann Fam Med. 2012;10:221-7. doi: 10.1370/afm.1370. PubMed PMID: 22585886; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3354971.
- Raz I, Prato SD, Home P, Schnell O. The World Congress on Clinical Trials in Diabetes 2016. Berlin, Endocrine Abstracts; 2016.
- Riazi H, Larijani B, Langarizadeh M, Shahmoradi L. Managing diabetes mellitus using information technology: a systematic review. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2015;14:49. doi: 10.1186/s40200-015-0174-x. PubMed PMID: 26075190; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4465147.
- Siriwardena LS, Wickramasinghe WA, Perera KL, Marasinghe RB, Katulanda P, Hewapathirana R. A review of telemedicine interventions in diabetes care. J Telemed Telecare. 2012;18:164-8. doi: 10.1258/jtt.2012.SFT110. PubMed PMID: 22362832.
- Morrow DG, Conner-Garcia T, Graumlich JF, Wolf MS, McKeever S, Madison A, et al. An EMR-based tool to support collaborative planning for medication use among adults with diabetes: design of a multi-site randomized control trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2012;33:1023-32. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2012.05.010. PubMed PMID: 22664648; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3408818.
- Meigs JB, Cagliero E, Dubey A, Murphy-Sheehy P, Gildesgame C, Chueh H, et al. A controlled trial of web-based diabetes disease management: the MGH diabetes primary care improvement project. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:750-7. PubMed PMID: 12610033.