Document Type: Original Research
Department of Medical Journalism, School of Para-Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Medical Imaging Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Rationale and Objective: The objective of this study is to evaluate the methodological adherence of diagnostic accuracy studies published in radiology journals, which were indexed in different databases with the STARD standard guide 2015.Materials and Methods: The different databases were searched in order to find suitable journals. Among 84 English radiology journals, 31 journal were selected randomly. In order to find the articles, the same search fields and search terms were used. All the items of STARD checklist 2015 were considered to take in to account in assessment of the adherence of the articles to the standard. Total STARD score for each article was calculated by summing the number of reported items.Results: 151 articles from 31 journals were evaluated to check the adherence of their structure to STARD standard. Based on the results the articles had the most adherence with the STARD standard in material and method part the item of participants, discussion section, and title or abstract. On the contrary, most of the articles were not adhere to other information which are new items in STARD 2015. Among radiology diagnostic accuracy articles only one article (0.66%) had a registration number and 10 (6.62%) articles had a link to full study protocol. More than 60% of articles adhered to the ethics (69.54%) and source of support (63.58%).Conclusions: The radiology diagnostic accuracy studies were adhered to 69.45% STARD items, which shows an improvement in reporting the diagnostic accuracy articles in comparison to previous studies.
- Rutjes AW, Reitsma JB, Di Nisio M, Smidt N, van Rijn JC, Bossuyt PM. Evidence of bias and variation in diagnostic accuracy studies. CMAJ. 2006;174:469-76. doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.050090. PubMed PMID: 16477057. PubMed PMCID: 1373751.
- Bossuyt PM, Reitsma JB, Bruns DE, Gatsonis CA, Glasziou PP, Irwig LM, et al. The STARD statement for reporting studies of diagnostic accuracy: explanation and elaboration. Clin Chem. 2003;49:7-18. doi.org/10.1373/49.1.7. PubMed PMID: 12507954.
- Bossuyt PM, Reitsma JB, Bruns DE, Gatsonis CA, Glasziou PP, Irwig L, et al. STARD 2015: An Updated List of Essential Items for Reporting Diagnostic Accuracy Studies. Radiology. 2015;277:826-32. doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2015151516. PubMed PMID: 26509226.
- Smidt N, Rutjes AW, van der Windt DA, Ostelo RW, Reitsma JB, Bossuyt PM, et al. Quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies. Radiology. 2005;235:347-53. doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2352040507. PubMed PMID: 15770041.
- Siddiqui MA, Azuara-Blanco A, Burr J. The quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies published in ophthalmic journals. Br J Ophthalmol. 2005;89:261-5. doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2004.051862. PubMed PMID: 15722299. PubMed PMCID: 1772540.
- Smidt N, Rutjes AW, van der Windt DA, Ostelo RW, Bossuyt PM, Reitsma JB, et al. The quality of diagnostic accuracy studies since the STARD statement: has it improved? Neurology. 2006;67:792-7. doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000238386.41398.30. PubMed PMID: 16966539.
- Coppus SF, van der Veen F, Bossuyt PM, Mol BW. Quality of reporting of test accuracy studies in reproductive medicine: impact of the Standards for Reporting of Diagnostic Accuracy (STARD) initiative. Fertil Steril. 2006;86:1321-9. doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2006.03.050. PubMed PMID: 16978620.
- Roposch A, Moreau NM, Uleryk E, Doria AS. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy for US. Radiology. 2006;241:854-60. doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2413051358. PubMed PMID: 17053199.
- Johnston KC, Holloway RG. There is nothing staid about STARD: progress in the reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies. Neurology. 2006;67:740-1. doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000238980.88377.25. PubMed PMID: 16966532.
- Johnson ZK, Siddiqui MA, Azuara-Blanco A. The quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies of optical coherence tomography in glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 2007;114:1607-12. doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2006.11.036. PubMed PMID: 17434589.
- Smidt N, Overbeke J, de Vet H, Bossuyt P. Endorsement of the STARD Statement by biomedical journals: survey of instructions for authors. Clin Chem. 2007;53:1983-5. doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2007.090167. PubMed PMID: 17954503.
- Wilczynski NL. Quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies: no change since STARD statement publication--before-and-after study. Radiology. 2008;248:817-23. doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2483072067. PubMed PMID: 18710977. PubMed PMCID: 2657849.
- Fontela PS, Pant Pai N, Schiller I, Dendukuri N, Ramsay A, Pai M. Quality and reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies in TB, HIV and malaria: evaluation using QUADAS and STARD standards. PLoS One. 2009;4:e7753. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0007753. PubMed PMID: 19915664. PubMed PMCID: 2771907.
- Areia M, Soares M, Dinis-Ribeiro M. Quality reporting of endoscopic diagnostic studies in gastrointestinal journals: where do we stand on the use of the STARD and CONSORT statements? Endoscopy. 2010;42:138-47. doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1243846. PubMed PMID: 20140830.
- Selman TJ, Morris RK, Zamora J, Khan KS. The quality of reporting of primary test accuracy studies in obstetrics and gynaecology: application of the STARD criteria. BMC Womens Health. 2011;11:8. doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-11-8. PubMed PMID: 21429185. PubMed PMCID: 3072919.
- Zintzaras E, Papathanasiou AA, Ziogas DC, Voulgarelis M. The reporting quality of studies investigating the diagnostic accuracy of anti-CCP antibody in rheumatoid arthritis and its impact on diagnostic estimates. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012;13:113. doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-13-113. PubMed PMID: 22730931. PubMed PMCID: 3488511.
- Korevaar DA, Wang J, van Enst WA, Leeflang MM, Hooft L, Smidt N, et al. Reporting diagnostic accuracy studies: some improvements after 10 years of STARD. Radiology. 2015;274:781-9. doi.org/10.1148/radiol.14141160. PubMed PMID: 25350641.
- Boursier J, de Ledinghen V, Poynard T, Guechot J, Carrat F, Leroy V, et al. An extension of STARD statements for reporting diagnostic accuracy studies on liver fibrosis tests: the Liver-FibroSTARD standards. J Hepatol. 2015;62:807-15. doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2014.10.042. PubMed PMID: 25450206.
- Charan J, Biswas T. How to calculate sample size for different study designs in medical research? Indian J Psychol Med. 2013;35:121-6. doi.org/10.4103/0253-7176.116232. PubMed PMID: 24049221. PubMed PMCID: 3775042.
- Hu ZD. STARD guideline in diagnostic accuracy tests: perspective from a systematic reviewer. Ann Transl Med. 2016;4:46. PubMed PMID: 26904568. PubMed PMCID: 4740009.