Document Type : Original Research
The University of Security Management in Kosice, ul. Kukučínova 17, 040 01 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Department of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine of University Hospital of P. J. Šafárik and University Hospital of L. Pasteur in Košice, Trieda SNP 1, 040 11 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Hospital of Horná Orava with Health Care Center in Trstená, Mieru 549/16, 028 01 Trstená, Slovak Republic
Background: The paper points out the present limited possibility of using the verbal description of injuries for the needs of experts from the field of road transportation as relevant criminalistics traces, as well as the options of the FORTIS system that creates a new area for a deeper interdisciplinary approach in the field of expert evidence. Further aÂ description of how to create injury signatures and contact signatures and the possibilities of their evaluation and mutual comparison based on the proven individual attributes are described.Objective: To evaluate pedestrian injuries by the new proper FORTIS system and to show FORTIS valuability in the assessment of mechanical violence and mechanism of injuries.Material and Methods: Cases of traffic injuries including photodocumentation, graphic schemes, medical files and autopsy protocols processed by the new FORTIS forensic system.Results: A collision between a pedestrian and a vehicle represents a matrix of physical violence having an effect on the pedestrianÂ´s body and a matrix of the pedestrianÂ´s bodyÂ´s response to this violence. The analysis of individual cases shows the valuability of the FORTIS system.Conclusion: It is apparent that for the needs of traffic accidents analysts the FORTIS system has more options for being used in forensic medicine, as it covers not only a field of evaluation of traffic injuries but also all kinds of injuries and accidents (rail accidents, air accidents, violent crimes, etc.).
- Moser A, Steffan H, Kasanický G. The pedestrian model in PC-crash–The introduction of a multi body system and its validation. SAE transactions. 1999:794-802.
- Bobrov N, Longauer F, Szabo M, Mandelík J, Mandelíková Z. Standardization of Injury Parameters at Pedestrians Traffic Accidents in Forensic Medicine. Proceedings to the 80th Anniversary of Pasteur Hospital Foundation; 2004. p. 62-66 (in Slovak).
- Mandelík J. Pedestrian´s injuri parametrisation and its usage in description of traffic accidents. University of Žilina: PhD. Thesis; 2006. (in Slovak)
- Bobrov N, Mandelík J, Havaj P. The possibilities of medico-legal evaluation of injuries and its usage in the interdisciplinary traffic accident solving. VŠBM Košice. 2017;185:21-9, 225. (in Slovak)
- Bobrov N, Ginelliová A, Mandelík J, Longauer F, Mátyás T. The evaluation of soft tissue injury extent at polytrauma in pedestrian traffic accident cases. Folia Societatis Medicinae Legalis Slovacae. 2012;2(1):13-17. (in Slovak)
- Bobrov N, Ginelliová A, Mandelík J. The injury quantification in traffic accident cases: the injury signature. Proceedings of the 4th Czech and Slovak Congress of Forensic Medicine with international participation; 2014. p. 41-45 (in Slovak)
- Mandelík J, Bobrov N. Parametrization of Injuries by the FORTIS System and its Utilisation at Solving Traffic Accidents with Pedestrians by the Police. American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS). 2017;36(1):294-305.
- Mandelík J, Bundzel M. Application of neural network in order to recognise individuality of course of vehicle and pedestrian body contacts during accidents. International Journal of Crashworthiness. 2018:1-14.