Document Type: Technical Note
Biomedical Engineering Department, College of Engineering, Al-Nahrain University, Baghdad, IRAQ
LVAD is a mechanical pump supporting a weak heart function and blood flow. Sometimes, the heart may not recover fast enough to take over the pumping action immediately after surgery, in such patients a temporary support device has been employed to maintain the pumping action until the patient’s own heart recovers. This device can be considered as a temporary alternative before the process of artificial heart transplantation. In this work, a new equivalent Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) is designed and implemented as a simple circuit for medical equipment labs. The presented LVDA consists of a mechanical motor, tubes, a power source, and microcontroller. The output results show the range of readings near the percentage ranges of the left ventricular pumping of the human adult. This work is significant for the biomedical equipment’s lab. The researcher can deal with the function of the important medical devices which are artificial that can record different readings.
- HeartMate II TM Left Ventricular Assist Device [Internet]. Heartmate II TM left ventricular assist system. [cited 25 March 2019]. Available from: https://www.heartmate.com/SJH/media/Emerge_SJH/pdf/22774_SJM-HM-0317-0061a_HeartMate-II-Product-Brochure.pdf
- Miller GE. Artificial organs. Williston: Morgan & Claypool Publishers; 2006. P. 66.
- Kirklin JK, Naftel DC. Mechanical circulatory support: registering a therapy in evolution. Circ Heart Fail. 2008;1:200-5. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.108.782599. PubMed PMID: 19808290; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3437761.
- Shah A [Internet]. Evaluation of the HeartWare® LVAD System for the Treatment of Advanced Heart Failure. c2009. [cited 25 March 2019]. Available from: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heart_vascular_institute/clinical_trials/mechanical_circulatory_support/heartware_lvad_system_heart_failure.html
- Popov AF, Hosseini MT, Zych B, Simon AR, Bahrami T. HeartWare left ventricular assist device implantation through bilateral anterior thoracotomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012;93:674-6. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2011.09.055.PubMed PMID: 22269746.
- Baum D. No Pulse: How Doctors Reinvented The Human Heart. Popular Science. 2012:36.
- Mayo Clinic [Internet]. Left ventricular assist device (LVAD). [cited 25 March 2019]. Available from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/ventricular-assist-device/multimedia/left-ventricular-assist-device/img-20006714
- Sensors & Sensor Modules [Internet]. YF-S201 Water Flow Sensor. [cited 25 March 2019]. Available from: https://files.amperka.ru/store-media/products/water-flow-sensor/media/YF-S201.pdf
- Castellano JA. Liquid gold: the story of liquid crystal displays and the creation of an industry. London: World Scientific; 2005. P. 302.
- Electronic Componentd Datasheet Search [Internet]. A000066 Datasheet, PDF. [cited 25 March 2019]. Available from: http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=A000066&gclid=CjwKCAjw-OHkBRBkEiwAoOZql0B-b9pdRHaDAg2djsPzRkaRXgiPYf5IjT2Vq1v5ZjP48Fl9Dgi_zBoCMp4QAvD_BwE
- Maceira AM, Prasad SK, Khan M, Pennell DJ. Normalized left ventricular systolic and diastolic function by steady state free precession cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2006;8:417-26. doi: 10.1080/10976640600572889. PubMed PMID: 16755827.