Document Type: Original Article
Ph.D., Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering Group, Iranian Research Organization for Science & Technology, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering Group, Iranian Research Organization for Science & Technology, Tehran, Iran
Fast reduction of blood water volume due to ultra-filtration via hemodialysis machine and critical threshold of blood water volume can result in clinical complications such as hypotension. When blood water volume reduces during hemodialysis process, the concentration of blood forming elements will increase. One of the methods for the monitoring of the concentration changes is ultrasonic speed measurement.
In this paper, we optimize the ultrasonic speed measurement method in such a way that it would be compatible with conventional air detector in a hemodialysis machine. Air bubble detecting and the relative blood water volume estimating can be achieved by adding the “sing-around” ultrasonic speed measurement method to the current hemodialysis machine; air bubble detection is achieved by monitoring the decline in the ultrasonic wave amplitude (because of air bubbles) and the protein concentration measurement is achieved by measuring the transit time of the wave. Therefore, the optimized method can be applied to the air detection device of a hemodialysis machine.
- Bosch JP. Hemodialysis: high-efficiency treatments: Churchill Livingstone; 1993.
- Yu S-J, Kim D-h, Oh D-J, Yu S-H, Kang E-T. Assessment of fluid shifts of body compartments using both bioimpedance analysis and blood volume monitoring. Journal of Korean medical science. 2006;21:75-80. doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2006.21.1.75.
- Ramalho V, Malvar B, Pessegueiro P, Amoedo M, Pires C, Aniceto J. Intradialytic blood volume monitoring and its effect on haemodynamic instability. Port J Nephrol Hypert. 2008;22:313-7.
- Dejake B, Firouzmand M, Nafisi VR. Relative blood volume monitoring based on photometry in hemodialysis process. 2nd Iranian Conference on Advanced Biomedical Engineering in the Cardiovascular field. 2016.
- Shahabi M, Nafisi VR, Pak F. Prediction of intradialytic hypotension using PPG signal features. 22th Iranian Conference on Biomedical Engineering. 2015. doi.org/10.1109/ICBME.2015.7404178.
- Nafisi VR, Eghbal M, Motlagh MR, Yavari F. Fuzzy logic controller for hemodialysis machine based on human body model. J Med Signals Sens. 2011;1:36-48. PubMed PMID: 22606657. PubMed PMCID: 3317763.
- Azar AT. Biofeedback systems and adaptive control hemodialysis treatment. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2008;19:895-903. PubMed PMID: 18974573.
- Abouie V, Sharifian H, Towhidkhah F, Nafisi VR, Abouie H. Using heart rate and blood concentration data in order to predict hypotension of hemodialysis patients. 19th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE); 2011.
- Johner C, Chamney PW, Schneditz D, Krämer M. Evaluation of an ultrasonic blood volume monitor. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation: Official Publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association-European Renal Association. 1998;13:2098-103. doi.org/10.1093/ndt/13.8.2098.
- Schneditz D, Pogglitsch H, Horina J, Binswanger U. A blood protein monitor for the continuous measurement of blood volume changes during hemodialysis. Kidney international. 1990;38:342-6. doi.org/10.1038/ki.1990.207.
- Mitra S, Chamney P, Greenwood R, Farrington K. The relationship between systemic and whole-body hematocrit is not constant during ultrafiltration on hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:463-9. doi.org/10.1097/01.ASN.0000108970.48370.33. PubMed PMID: 14747394.
- Dasselaar JJ, Huisman RM, de Jong PE, Franssen CF. Measurement of relative blood volume changes during haemodialysis: merits and limitations. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2005;20:2043-9. doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfi056.
- Iselin H, Tsinalis D, Brunner FP. Sodium balance-neutral sodium profiling does not improve dialysis tolerance. Swiss Med WKLY. 2001;131:635-9.
- Schneditz D, Heimel H, Stabinger H. Sound speed, density and total protein concentration of blood. J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1989;27:803-6. doi.org/10.1515/cclm.1922.214.171.1243. PubMed PMID: 2600553.
- Christensen D. Ultrasonic bioinstrumentation: Wiley; 1988.
- Delsing J. A new velocity algorithm for sing-around-type flow meters. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 1987;34:431-6. doi.org/10.1109/T-UFFC.1987.26963. PubMed PMID: 18291865.
- Gorgian-Mohammadi A. Design and manufacture of a precise ultrasonic flowmeter for ultrafiltration measurement during hemodialysis. Science and Technology University, Iran; 2000.
- Hemodialysis group. Design and manufacture of the hemodialysis machine IROST2000A & IROST2001D & IROST4001D reports. Iranian Research Organization for Science & Technology; 2002-2015.
- Kinsky R. Applied Fluid Mechanics: McGraw-Hill Book Company; 1992.