Document Type: Original Research
Philips Research, Research Scholar, Manipal University, India
Manipal University, India
Background and Objective: Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformation (CAVM) hemodynamic is disease condition, results changes in the flow and pressure level in cerebral blood vessels. Measuring flow and pressure without catheter intervention along the vessel is big challenge due to vessel bifurcations/complex bifurcations in Arteriovenous Malformation patients. The vessel geometry in CAVM patients are complex, composed of varying diameters, lengths, and bifurcations of various angles. The variations in the vessel diameter and bifurcation angle complicate the measurement and analysis of blood flow features invasively or non-invasively.Methods: In this paper, we proposed a lumped model for the bifurcation for symmetrical and asymmetrical networks in CAVM patients. The models are created using MATLAB Simulation software for various bifurcation angles. Each bifurcation angle created using electrical network- RLC. The segmentation and pre-processing of bifurcation vessels are implemented using adaptive segmentation. The proposed network address clinicians problem by measuring hemodynamic non-invasively. The method is applicable for any types of bifurcation networks with different bifurcation angles in CAVM patients.Results: In this work, we constructed a mathematical model, measured hemodynamic for 23 patients (actual and simulated cases) with 60 vessel bifurcation angles variations. The results indicate that comparisons evidenced highly significant correlations between values computed by the lumped model and simulated mechanical model for both networks with p < 0.0001. A P value of less than 0.05 considered statistically significant.Conclusion: In this paper, we have modelled different bifurcation types and automatically display pressure and flow non-invasively at different node and at different angles of bifurcation in the complex vessel with help of bifurcation parameters, using lumped parameter model. We have simulated for different bifurcation angles and diameters of vessel for various imaging modality and model extend for different organs. This will help clinicians to measure haemodynamic parameters noninvasively at various bifurcations, where even catheter cannot be reached.
- Massoud TF, Hademenos GJ, Young WL, Gao E, Pile-Spellman J. Can induction of systemic hypotension help prevent nidus rupture complicating arteriovenous malformation embolization?: analysis of underlying mechanism achieved using a theoretical model. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2000;21:1255-67. PubMed PMID: 10954278.
- Kumar YK, Mehta S, Ramachandra M. Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformation Modelling. Advanced Science, Engineering and Medicine. 2014;6:105-7. doi.org/10.1166/asem.2014.1458.
- Kalsho G, Kassab GS. Bifurcation asymmetry of the porcine coronary vasculature and its implications on coronary flow heterogeneity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;287:H2493-500. doi.org/10.1152/ajpheart.00371.2004. PubMed PMID: 15548725.
- Hoogstraten HW, Kootstra JG, Hillen B, Krijger JK, Wensing PJ. Numerical simulation of blood flow in an artery with two successive bends. J Biomech. 1996;29:1075-83. doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(95)00174-3. PubMed PMID: 8817375.
- Goubergrits L, Affeld K, Fernandez-Britto J, Falcon L. Investigation of geometry and atherosclerosis in the human carotid bifurcations. Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology. 2003;3:31-48. doi.org/10.1142/S0219519403000612.
- Malve M, Chandra S, Lopez-Villalobos JL, Finol EA, Ginel A, Doblare M. CFD analysis of the human airways under impedance-based boundary conditions: application to healthy, diseased and stented trachea. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin. 2013;16:198-216. doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2011.615743. PubMed PMID: 22220946.
- Auricchio F, Conti M, Ferrazzano C, Sgueglia GA. A simple framework to generate 3D patient-specific model of coronary artery bifurcation from single-plane angiographic images. Comput Biol Med. 2014;44:97-109. doi.org/10.1016/j.compbiomed.2013.10.027. PubMed PMID: 24377693.
- Smith NP. Coronary flow mechanics: an anatomically based mathematical model of coronary blood flow coupled to cardiac contraction. Thesis (PhD--Engineering Science)--University of Auckland; 1999.
- Mirzaee MR, Ghasemalizadeh O, Firoozabadi B. Exact simulating of human arteries using lumped model and probing constriction in femoral and carotid arteries. American Journal of Applied Sciences. 2009;6:834. doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2009.834.842.
- Gijsen FJ, Wentzel JJ, Thury A, Lamers B, Schuurbiers JC, Serruys PW, et al. A new imaging technique to study 3-D plaque and shear stress distribution in human coronary artery bifurcations in vivo. J Biomech. 2007;40:2349-57. doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2006.12.007. PubMed PMID: 17335832.
- Bowles RI, Dennis SC, Purvis R, Smith FT. Multi-branching flows from one mother tube to many daughters or to a network. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2005;363:1045-55. doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2005.1548. PubMed PMID: 16105767.
- Blagojevic M, Nikolic A, Zivkovic M, Stankovic G. A novel framework for fluid/structure interaction in rapid subject-specific simulations of blood flow in coronary artery bifurcations. Vojnosanit Pregl. 2014;71:285-92. doi.org/10.2298/VSP1403285B. PubMed PMID: 24697016.
- Murray CD. The physiological principle of minimum work applied to the angle of branching of arteries. J Gen Physiol. 1926;9:835-41. doi.org/10.1085/jgp.9.6.835. PubMed PMID: 19872299. PubMed PMCID: 2140901.
- Romijn M, Gratama van Andel HA, van Walderveen MA, Sprengers ME, van Rijn JC, van Rooij WJ, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of CT angiography with matched mask bone elimination for detection of intracranial aneurysms: comparison with digital subtraction angiography and 3D rotational angiography. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008;29:134-9. doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A0741. PubMed PMID: 17928381.
- Bergland GD. Numerical Analysis: A fast fourier transform algorithm for real-valued series. Communications of the ACM. 1968;11:703-10. doi.org/10.1145/364096.364118.
- Zhang S, Wang L. Fast Fourier transform option pricing with stochastic interest rate, stochastic volatility and double jumps. Applied Mathematics and Computation. 2013;219:10928-33. doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2013.05.008.
- Sezgin M. Survey over image thresholding techniques and quantitative performance evaluation. Journal of Electronic imaging. 2004;13:146-68. doi.org/10.1117/1.1631315.
- Otsu N. A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms. Automatica. 1975;11:23-7.
- Liao P-S, Chen T-S, Chung P-C. A fast algorithm for multilevel thresholding. J Inf Sci Eng. 2001;17:713-27.
- Kumar YK, Mehta SB, Ramachandra M. Vascular Segmentation of Cerebral AVM. Advances in Research. 2014;2:52-7. doi.org/10.9734/AIR/2014/7044.
- Wang S, editor. A Lumped Parameters Dynamic Model for Cerebral Circulation. 7th Asian-Pacific Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering: Springer; 2008.
- Gehalot P, Zhang R, Mathew A, Behbehani K. Efficacy of using mean arterial blood pressure sequence for three-element Windkessel model estimation. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:1379-82. doi.org/10.1109/iembs.2006.259977. PubMed PMID: 17946889.
- Pries AR, Secomb TW, Gaehtgens P. Structural adaptation and stability of microvascular networks: theory and simulations. Am J Physiol. 1998;275:H349-60. PubMed PMID: 9683420.
- Farnoush A, Avolio A, Qian Y. Effect of bifurcation angle configuration and ratio of daughter diameters on hemodynamics of bifurcation aneurysms. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013;34:391-6. doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A3222. PubMed PMID: 22859285.
- Arfken G. Mathematical Methods for Physicists. 3rd ed. Orlando, FL: Academic Press, Inc.; 1985. p. 492-493.
- Cartwright JH, Piro O. The dynamics of Runge–Kutta methods. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos. 1992;2:427-49. doi.org/10.1142/S0218127492000641.
- Kumar YK, Mehta S, Ramachandra M. A Novel method of Lumped parameter modelling-Arteriovenous Malformation. The 2013 International Conference on Science and Engineering in Biology, Medical and Public Health: Biomed Pub; 2013.
- De Lazzari C, Neglia D, Ferrari G, Bernini F, Micalizzi M, L’Abbate A, et al. Computer simulation of coronary flow waveforms during caval occlusion. Methods Inf Med. 2009;48:113-22. doi.org/10.3414/me0539. PubMed PMID: 19283307.
- Bhojwani SN. Simulation of physiological signals using wavelets: University of Akron; 2007.
- SPSS Base 10.0 for Windows User’s Guide. SPSS Inc.: Chicago IL; 1999.